The Weekend Editor, which is a part-time remote position, will be an integral member of the breaking news team. You’ll direct news coverage of the biggest stories as they develop, coordinate with the social team to drive reader engagement, and run our team of weekend reporters as we deliver high-metabolism journalism to our readers, seven days a week.
What you get to do
- Direct our breaking news coverage on the weekends and run our team of weekend reporters and writers to cover the biggest stories with original reporting
- Edit columns and pieces that are filed over the weekend for weekday coverage
- Analyze how our readers and viewers are interacting with our weekend offerings and innovate on new products to provide news value to our users
- Edit and manage the homepage
- Coordinate with the social team to deliver stories and breaking news across our various platforms
- Drive reader engagement through original storytelling and newsy scoops
- Coordinate with the senior edit team on any important news coverage that originates on the weekends and on big news that breaks on the weekends
- Directly report to The Daily Beast’s Editor-in-Chief and Executive Editor
What you bring to us
- 3+ years’ experience at a national or international news organization
- College degree preferable
- A keen insight into breaking news situations
- Speed and excellent news judgment
- An obsessive interest in getting the news out quickly and helping readers understand the most important stories of the day, month, year
- A voracious news diet
- A hunger to work in a fast-paced newsroom and to stay abreast of the competition
More about us
We reach over 26.5MM of the most affluent and influential readers on the web, the majority of whom are millennials. We have the aesthetic, quality and editorial chops of a traditional media company with the nimble, tech-savvy required to be a digital only publisher. We are the best in the business at content partnerships, and we prove it through home grown proprietary content tools that allow us to both predict what our partners should write about, but also measure the success of their content. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we help drive the national conversation from politics to fashion, or breaking news to culture. We are based in New York and are an operating business of IAC.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
editing or writing experience in digital media