MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we're also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2020 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
We are hiring a passionate problem solver who will work broadly across many projects with campaign staff to run innovative campaigns using top-of-the-line political technology, digital campaigning tools and data analysis. This role will involve helping staff use tools, administering tools, customizing tools, and analyzing data generated by these tools. Do you love working at the intersection of progressive organizing and technology? Join our team! This role is open to candidates at all levels.
About MoveOn Systems
MoveOn’s millions of members generate significant website and digital tool traffic that create interesting scaling problems to solve. We have terabytes of data that drive ambitious analytics, fundraising, and engagement programs. At MoveOn, making decisions with data is a core part of how all work gets done. Like many nonprofit tech teams, we're a small, scrappy team, wear many hats, and work across the software stack.
While we often split up who is working on which projects, everyone on the team works on all parts of our systems. We have ~10 production systems—and two systems running at significant scale—getting thousands of requests per minute during spikes of member energy. We believe in choosing the best language, platform, and tool for the job and are not language zealots, but we also recognize the switching cost of straddling too many languages.
- Work across many projects with campaign staff to run innovative campaigns using top-of-the-line political technology, digital campaigning tools and data analysis
- Quickly get up to speed and develop mastery in the online campaigning platform ActionKit; candidate will have a supported onboarding process and learning plan that includes ActionKit
- Work side by side with MoveOn team members on complex digital organizing tasks like creating targeted emails, surveys, donation forms, and live event recruitment pages
- Effectively triage and manage a list of technical support tasks to ensure that MoveOn staff's technical needs are met
- Help MoveOn team members edit HTML on campaign webpages
- Write SQL and use data analysis tools to support team members with campaign reporting
- Train MoveOn team members on complex workflows that use online campaigning tools
- Contribute your ideas to organizational strategy discussions
- Contribute your ideas to tech team discussions to enhance and improve our tools and tactics
Required skills and experience:
- Excellent project management skills; ability to organize, manage, and communicate clearly about a list of 30+ tasks at a time
- Excellent process management skills: ability to understand complex organizational systems and optimize processes that intersect with tech.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in a tech or tech-adjacent role.
- Determined, thorough, and a relentless finisher -- able to reliably drive tasks and projects through to completion
- Knowledge of SQL in a relational database like MySQL or PostgreSQL, or a desire to quickly learn
- Experience editing HTML and CSS, or a desire to quickly learn
- Comfortable with or willing to learn to use a linux command line interface
- A strong interest in learning and developing expertise in new technical tools, frameworks, and software
- Able to fluently communicate with both technical and nontechnical staff
- Curious, and a fearless learner and problem solver
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose team members all work remotely
- Ability to effectively and rapidly respond to urgent support requests
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.